This is the Privacy & Cookies Policy (the ‘Policy’) of Worldwide Legal Research Limited (t/a Legal Monitor) (hereafter ‘Legal Monitor’, ‘we’ or ‘us’). We provide the following products – “Legal Intelligence”, “Market Tracker”, “Partner Promotions” and “Lateral Moves” (the “Products”) which are used by our clients in order to obtain recruitment related data about individuals within the legal market.
Legal Intelligence is a database which contains information about individuals sourced from the world’s largest law firms. Legal Intelligence indexes and classifies this information and presents it to Legal Monitor’s clients. Market Tracker, Partner Promotions and Lateral Moves offer information in relation to particular deals, partner promotions, and employee moves respectively.
In order to create our Products, we gather publicly available information about the individuals included in our Products and then present such information via our Products to our clients who register with us to use such Products. This Policy describes the ways in which Legal Monitor collects and uses information both to create, and if you are a client of ours to provide to you, the Products. This Policy also describes how Legal Monitor collects and uses information about you when you visit our website at http://www.legal-monitor.com/ (the ‘Website’).
If we have collected information about you to incorporate into our Products, unless you object to the information we have collected about you (which you can do as set out in this Policy), you agree to us collecting and using such information as set out in this Policy. In addition, by visiting our Website and using our Products you agree to be bound by this Policy in respect of the information collected about you. Legal Monitor may change this Policy at any time in which case we shall notify you of any changes to this Policy. The changes will apply to your use of the Website and Products after we have given notice. If you do not wish to accept the new Policy you should not continue to use the Website or any of our Products. If you continue to use the Website or our Products, or do not object to us continuing to collect your data after the date on which the change comes into effect, your use of the Website or our Products, or your lack of objection, indicates your agreement to be bound by the new Policy.
Your use of the Website
1. ICO registration: For the purposes of data protection legislation, Legal Monitor is the controller for the processing of your personal data. Legal Monitor has notified the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”) of its processing of personal data. The notification indicates what data is processed by Legal Monitor and for what purpose, and to which persons or entities the data will be provided. Click here https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/Entry/Z3095550 to consult the notification in the public register of the ICO. Legal Monitor’s registration number is Z3095550.
2. Information which is collected by us: Legal Monitor may collect the following information about you:
a. any information which you provide to us via the Website when signing up for one of our Products, including your name, e-mail address, address, telephone number, fax number, phone number and any other details that you provide to us during the registration process;
b. information that we incorporate into our Products and which we source from the public domain (as further listed in paragraph 3 below), including your name, e-mail address, business address, telephone number, job title, year of qualification and any other details that are listed by you or made available via the sources listed in paragraph 3 below;
c. the length of time that you spend on our Website; and
3. Source of Information: For its Legal Intelligence Product, Legal Monitor searches the websites of around 700 of the world’s largest law firms (“Law Firm Data”) and regulatory bodies. Legal Monitor sources such data by indexing the relevant law firm websites using commercially available indexing software and custom-built indexing tools. This information is used for the core Product, Legal Intelligence.
For its Market Tracker, Partner Promotions and Lateral Moves products, Legal Monitor obtains the information listed in paragraph 2(b) from press releases published on law firm websites and news stories in the public domain (“Press Data”). Generally, Press Data only contains a person’s name in terms of the items of personal data collected by Legal Monitor.
4. Ground for processing: Legal Monitor relies on the legitimate interests processing ground to collect the information listed in paragraph 2. It is in Legal Monitor’s legitimate interests to collect such items of personal data listed above in order to further its business interests and make the Website and Products a profitable commercial offering and of most use to its clients. It is also in Legal Monitor’s legitimate interest to send relevant emails based on the data it collects. The items of personal data collected are, in being limited to “business card” type data, and in the case of information used in our Products being in the public domain, not of a nature whereby a data subject’s rights and freedoms are outweighed by such data collection.
a. to enable Legal Monitor to provide the Products to its clients – the information listed in paragraph 2(b) comprises the core content of our Products and collecting this enables us to provide such Products to our clients and the information listed in paragraph 2(a) permits us to run our business by knowing who our clients are to whom we provide the Products and to allow Legal Monitor to provide such Products to such clients;
b. to enable Legal Monitor to publish a monthly report detailing some of the information listed in paragraph 2(b) to our clients;
c. to enable Legal Monitor to undertake administration tasks in relation to the management of the Website:
d. to tweak, tune and facilitate the improvement of the Website;
e. to (subject to you having provided your express consent when registering) send e-newsletters relating to our latest developments and events;
f. to provide technical support in relation to your use of the Website and troubleshooting;
g. to prevent fraud or illegal activities
h. to use such information in anonymised form for its own research and marketing purposes; and
i. to share with third parties as described in paragraph 6 below.
6. Sharing information with third parties: Legal Monitor shall not pass your information to any third party (other than as described in this paragraph). Your information may, subject to Legal Monitor’s obligations to comply with applicable data protection legislation, be shared with the following third parties:
a. to our technical infrastructure provider;
b. to our web server providers;
c. having taken precautions to maintain the security of such information, Legal Monitor may share this information with its regulator;
d. in anonymised form, Legal Monitor may share the information with:
i. any third party, in relation to the sale of some or all Legal Monitor’ business, or its assets, or as part of any business restructuring or reorganisation. Legal Monitor will take steps with the aim of ensuring that your rights continue to be protected if your personal data is transferred in accordance with this paragraph;
ii. with data aggregators and Website providers as part of an analysis of user metrics or sales performance; or
iii. with law enforcement agencies in compliance with law enforcement.
7. Links to third party websites and third party adverts: Legal Monitor is not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other sites even if you access them using links from the Website. You should check the policy of each site you visit and contact its owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions. In addition, if you link to the Website from a third party site or via a social network (e.g. Twitter, Facebook), Legal Monitor is not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners or operators of that third party site and recommends that you check the policy of that third party site and contact its owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions.
8. Security: Legal Monitor has implemented technology and policies to safeguard your privacy from unauthorised access and improper use.
9. Storage and Data Retention: We store your personal data in the EEA. We refresh the data on a monthly basis and store the Press Data in perpetuity. Where we transfer your personal data outside the EEA we do so in compliance with applicable data protection legislation.
We store all data in a mysql database. We store the Press Data for Market Tracker in a mysql database, and the Press Data for Partner Promotions and Lateral Moves on our password protected internal servers. You can choose to stop using our products at any time by sending an e-mail to us at [email protected] or write to us at Jason Schofield, Worldwide Legal Research Limited, 7 Granard Business Centre, Bunns Lane, Mill Hill, London NW7 8DQ.
Contact with Legal Monitor
10. Information Legal Monitor collects and uses if you contact us or make complaints: When Legal Monitor receives complaints by email it files any relevant document and may retain details of the complainant and other individuals identified in the complaint. Legal Monitor will only use this information to process the complaint and to check on Legal Monitor’s Website and staff. Legal Monitor shall retain information in relation to a complaint for 6 years after its closure, in a secure environment and access to it will be restricted on a ‘need to know’ basis.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
b. Disabling Cookies: The use of the cookies described above improves the functionality of the Website or Products and your experience of using them. If you do not want these cookies to be served on your device, you are able to disable them by changing the settings on your browser, or on your device. Please note that if you do decide to disable cookies you may not be able to access some of the Website or Products, and some of the features of the Website or Products may not function properly. By continuing to use the Website or Products, including using social networking media functionality, you consent to the relevant cookies being set on your device.
d. More information: To find out more about how cookies work, how to manage and delete them and to see which ones have been set please visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
Legal Monitor uses these cookies are to monitor the use of its Website. It uses a number of tools that monitor visitor behaviour on its Website to help it to improve its information and services.
Legal Monitor uses Google Analytics cookies (_gat) to collect information about how visitors use the Website and Products, which Legal Monitor use to help improve it. These cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the Website and number of users of the Products, where visitors have come to the Website from, and the pages they visited. Legal Monitor stores a random unique number or string of letters and numbers to identify your browser, the times and dates that you interacted with the Website recently and the marketing materials or referring pages that led you to the Website.
Contact and Your rights
12. Details: If at any time you would like to contact Legal Monitor you can do so by sending an email to [email protected] or write to us at Law Business Research, Meridian House, 34-35 Farringdon Street, London EC4A 4HL. Law Business Research is registered in England and Wales under company number 3205159 and its registered office is at Meridian House, Farringdon Street, London, England, EC4A 4HL.
Your Rights: You can contact us using the details set out in the paragraph above if you wish to: (i) access a copy of the personal data that we hold about you; (ii) correct any items of personal data that we hold about you; and/or (iii) have any items of personal data that we hold about you erased or object to our processing of such items of personal data.; (iv) You also have the right to make a complaint to the ICO by contacting them at any time.
This Privacy & Cookies Policy was last changed on 7 July 2022.